TĀQ-E GARRĀ

Täq-e Garrä (sometimes called Täq-e Shirin) is a stone structure in Pätägh Pass along the old Great Khorasan Road, between Kermanshah and Sarpol-e Zahab, some 15 km east of Sarpol-e Zahab.  This is a cubical structure 11.70 high and 4.68 wide. The south face of the structure opens to an iwän 1.20 m above the ground, 4.10 m wide, 3.10 m deep and 5.92 m high. 1.20 m above the doorway there is a double dent plain entablature surmounted with crenellations 92 cm high.

The structure is built with local rocks and gypsum mortar with ashlar exterior.

The structure is registered as No. 178 in 1931 in the National Registry of Historical Monuments. It underwent major reconstruction work in the 1960s.

The function and exact date of the structure is subject to debate. While there is a general consensus that it dates to the late Sasanian period, some have attributed the structure to Khosrow II (Parviz) (590-628 CE) who was particularly active in these parts of the Empire. As for its function, it has been described as a way-station, a guard-post, or, most probably a triumphal arch.

 

Coordinates: 34.4318°N   46.0177°E

 

For further information see:

سیف الله کامبخش فرد، کاوش ها و پژوهش های باستان شناسی و احیا معماری معبد آناهیتا کنگاور و تاق گرا، تهران: پژوهشگاه میراث فرهنگی، 1386.